How to Approach Your School
• Make an appointment to speak to the principal or head director.
• Print out your Genes Day flyer (A sample is provided at the link for you to download and use.)
• During your meeting show the Genes Day flyers to the principal/head director and explain that Genes Day is IMDSA's official awareness day for World Down Syndrome Day and why it is important to you.
• If the students and/or staff in your school are not allowed to wear jeans to school, this could be a special exception and make the day extra fun for them.
• If students and/or staff are allowed to wear jeans daily, then you could suggest that they be allowed to decorate their jeans for this special day.
• Explain that you would like all of the school staff involved in this special day.
• Ask the principal to pass out the Genes Day flyers to the students in the school, so they can take them home to parents.
• During your fundraising time, you could suggest that classes or grades donate “Dimes for Down syndrome” and the top class/grade would receive a pizza party (donated by local pizza place)
• Ask the principal to also post the Genes Day flyers in the teacher's lounge and hallways to remind everyone of Genes Day
• On the week before Genes Day be sure staff understands their roles and students are reminded of the day.
• On your designated Genes Day have students complete fun activities to understand mosaic Down syndrome or Down syndrome.
• Have fun on Genes Day! This is a great time to spread awareness and educate others about mosaic Down syndrome and Down syndrome!
Example of what has been done.
Here is an example of what a mother did for her son's class for Genes Day.. Dimes for Down Syndrome Click the link..Genes Day Dimes For DS.pdf
IMDSA is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization. All donations are tax deductible to the fullest extent of the law.
The Genes Day TM and IMDSA logos are the sole property of International Mosaic Down Syndrome Association and cannot be copied or reproduced in any way.